Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Month Six

Baby T has started eating solid food this past month. It has been a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. He LOVES the bottle so much that I thought he would LOVE food just as much...not so. Unfortunately, he loves the bottle a little too much. I have been making my own baby food. My husband bought me a really nice food processor for Mother's Day. I read the reviews online about the steamer/babyfood makers. Basically, they are just steamers and food processors in one, and everybody said it is a better investment just to buy yourself and a nice food processor. Babies only eat pureed food for about 3 or 4 months max, so it's really not worth the money. I can use the food processor for the next 10 or 15 years. It's super easy to make the food. All I have done so far is steam veggies and puree them. Then I put them in icecube trays and freeze them for a later date. I do this about once a week. It takes very little time. I feel like it is better for Baby T to get fresh veggies, and it is WAY cheaper than buying the baby food. I can buy a sweet potato for about $1,and it makes at least 8 servings. I think organic baby food is like 2 jars$3. Great savings!

Our doctor has told us to start with veggies, then mix in meat and then fruit. I think the idea is to not let them have sweet right off the bat, so that won't be all they want. I bought this book at Babies R Us, First Meals & More: Your Questions Answered by Annabel Karmel. It has been informative so far, and it has great recipes in it.

We have been using the Bumbo to feed him. It works okay. He doesn't really love it. I'm currently looking for a high chair. I was going to order the one from IKEA, but they are out of stock. BOO So now I don't know what I'm going to do.

Baby T has been loving his exersaucer this month. He can play in it for quite awhile. Sometimes up to an hour. He also loves his doorway jumper. This cracks us up. It's so funny to watch him bounce around.


Baby T started sitting up all by himself this month! YAY! This has helped me a lot. He can sit on the floor and play with his toys or his friend Baby P. They are so cute together! It is nice that he can sit in highchairs at restaurants and shopping carts. I just bought an Itzy Ritzy highchair/shopping cart cover today at Storkland. Love Storkland! They have such great stuff in there!

Also, this month Baby T has started flipping over to his belly in his bed, and then throwing a fit until I come turn him over. This afternoon I just let him cry, and I didn't go in there. He finally pushed himself over. He forgot he could do this. He also threw a big fit at my mom's yesterday. He does it when he's not getting his way or frustrated. But he needs to learn that this is not the behavior that mommy will put up with or give in to. I'm noticing it happens when he's tired in the late afternoon.

I found out not too long ago that babies could not wear sunscreen until they are six months old. I had no idea! I bought some Mustela sunscreen (again at Storkland). I can't remember if it's waterproof or not. We took Baby T swimming last week in the evening at mom and dad's. Of course, he loved it! He loves taking baths. He's already a little fish!

I bought Thatcher a Sophie Giraffe teether He really liked it, but I've already lost it! I think it's in my mom's car.

We have switched to Target diapers. I'm really liking them. They gave Baby T a little diaper rash at first, but it's okay now. They are a lot cheaper than the old Pampers. I went to Green Bambino here in OKC last week. This is a cloth diaper store. I love the concept and how economical it is. But it is not for me. I just don't want to spend the time with the washing. I have a few friends that do it, and it works really well for them.

I love this brand called Sugar Booger for sippy cups, plates, and splash mats. They are so cute! We have the pirate set and a cowboy splash mat. Again, we got them at Storkland.

This past weekend I took the quilt my aunt made for Thatcher to the park and all the babies played on it while the adults talked. I also use the quilt at him on the floor. We put toys on it. I have to wash it frequently because of spitup and poo, but that's what it's for! You must have a good sturdy blankie to just throw down.

1 comment:

  1. Baby T is growing so fast!

    When Lily gets fussy in the afternoons, I put her in her crib for a nap. I know that some books/docs say babies their age only need two naps a day, but I believe Lil still needs three. I'm hardcore about her sleeping, keeps us both happy :)

    ReplyDelete